Monday, September 9, 2019

My Best Shots: Covers Edition 1

Feedback:
'Lovely photo with a lively, all knowing smile. I like this as it creates a confident, positive representation of this age group 16-18' 
-Miss S King // Flickr
I took this medium close up with intentions of looking for a front cover photo. The location is Elsham Hall Gardens in front of a duck egg blue pained wooden cabin, I chose this location as I liked the two tones of blue from her dress and the background. My clothing instructions were 'bring something you'd wear in the summer' as I felt that that would best accommodate my TA.  I asked her to look into camera to follow conventions and her 'all knowing smile' came naturally which I felt created a nice, modern representation of young women. This was recognised in my feedback.


Feedback: There has not yet been any feedback however, I really like this photo and feel it has potential in editing.
I think this low angle medium shot would make an interesting front cover which targets 16-25 years old successfully. I wanted this photo to create, strong and fierce representations to not only empower girls but to empower all young adults. I feel this image has a sense of innocent and natural beauty which is refreshing while the media is creating unrealistic beauty standards.

Feedback: This also hasn't had any comments yet, however, I think after editing this image would be great for a front cover.
The location was the main point of this photoshoot, I wanted to use the sunflower field as it breaks stereotypes and creates a new gender representation; the connotations of flowers are very feminine so I wanted to challenge that and prove that flowers doesn't have to be 'girly'. I had him pose slightly angled in centre frame with his arms crossed and a tough facial expression to still ensure I catered for some of the expected conventions of men in the media. For a first edition I didn't want to challenge too many conventions as it could lead to the magazine being unsuccessful. Something that made the shoot difficult was the lighting in correlation to the flowers; to have the flowers facing the camera, the sun had to be behind the model which made odd shadows and finding the correct exposure difficult.



Feedback: There is currently no comments on this photo.
For a unisex fashion and lifestyle magazine, I wanted some two shot cover photos with both a male and female. I originally did a photoshoot with two people both wearing the same outfit to highlight the idea of unisex fashion however, I didn't feel any of them were right to go on the cover. I like this image as it is low angle and has different levels in it. Something I've noticed since uploading and sorting through the photos is Kim has her phone in her pocket and Leyton has charity wrist bands on, there is also a telegraph pole in the background. Despite there being a few unwanted items I still really like this photo and think it has potential to be a good cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment